Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Thinking About Nicknames

When I introduce myself to my patients, I usually have to repeat my name at least once.  Hell, when I introduce myself to anyone, I usually have to correct away from "Melissa, Marissa, Clarissa, etc."  I've gotten used to throwing up an "L" with my left hand when I'm wearing a mask, to help emphasize on the repeat.  I even have catchphrases around the reply, the first being "Yeah, I don't meet too many of me," and if they compliment my name, I say "thanks!  I got it for my birthday."  Either of them might earn me a chuckle.    

It can be annoying sometimes, but I take it with a sense of humor.  Yes, I never did have pencils or pre-made tiny license plates with that name on them.  After thirty-five years, I'm prepared.  At Starbucks, I'll either say "Andy" since we share a rewards account there anyway or say my name and "however you spell it will be close enough."  In places where it needs to get correct, I have reverted to the phonetic alphabet more than one time (Lima Alpha Romeo India Sierra Sierra Alpha) for absolute clarity.  Every now and again that there's a friend or family member with my name, we have a small bonding point.  I am the only Larissa employed at the hospital, which means that I literally called in to pick up a shift and only had to say my first name.  On the other hand, I cannot blame another Larissa if they were not particularly fond of me.  

My parents have always told me that they chose my name because it means "laughter," which I like to think has proved fitting.  I appreciate my name, spelling corrections aside.  However, that is not to say that I have not found different expressions of it.  I have had many nicknames in the course of my life. 

I can tell a bit about where I knew a person from in my past based on what nickname they call me.  Anyone that calls me "Roo" knew me as a small child.  A couple friends in later elementary called me "L.Roy."  "Rissa" was a lot of junior high through high school.  Both "Rissa" and "Ris" through a lot of college and with some adult friends.  "Lar-Lar" and its derivative "Larizard" came from working at a summer camp.  "Reesie" came from a particular friend.  And then as a professional at Skyward and the hospital, mostly "Larissa."  Sometimes still "Ris," but the folks I met from work still mostly use my full name.  

I'm curious what nicknames I might acquire a little further into my career at the hospital, if my name will organically shorten or change here, too.  I can think of one body from work that has been calling me "Rissie-Ris" which has added to my sense of community, and for others I suppose we simply haven't talked about it yet.  When Andy and I started dating, he very intentionally switched from "Ris" to using my full name, as if marking the transition in his own way.  I don't necessarily have a preference to or away from nicknames, but I recognize the places I have been given them over time, acknowledging the sense of belonging either way, by being given a name or simply by being invited to join.  

And that's the kicker for me, really:  I am not terribly picky about what I'm called (within reason) provided that I am included.  There are unspoken ways that others want to be included, sometimes designating those terms by a preferred name and sharing their pronouns.  I can think of a couple of hurtful names I've been called, too, and how that was exclusionary in itself.  One of the first questions I ask my patients is what they prefer to be called, not taking liberties with the information I already know about them without some degree of consent, a small concession in the power differential between us as clinician v patient.  Sometimes, the answer is "Mrs. Smith" or their middle name or something else that had not been yet updated to my paper, but either way I allow them space to frame how they are to be met in that space.  I choose to include them how they want to be seen.  To that degree, I subconsciously use my full name at work as a way to create space professionally, to mark the role and also help set the space for myself, establishing which version of myself I choose to project.  

My name and its derivatives are snapshots of different facets of me.  Additional ones may spring up in the future, as I continue to meet new parts of myself in new contexts.  And I'm excited to see that growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment