Wednesday, September 28, 2022

About Food

I have a weird relationship with food.  Funnily enough, having an autoimmune disease that affects my digestive system.  Honestly, I would go as far to say that I have disorganized thinking around food.  There are a number of triggers and patterns that have made food a touchy subject for me.  

  • I've lost thirty pounds in a month before because it was too painful to eat and I had no appetite--Crohn's flares are a beast
  • Trying to force yourself to eat when the back of your mind screams that there will be Terrible Consequences! while simultaneously another part of your mind is screaming that if you don't eat there will be Terrible Consequences!...well, this results in Terrible Consequences! AND anxiety 
  • Already experiencing a reduction in much joy of eating, eating something I don't feel I'm in the mood for is not something I can muscle through can be a special kind of nausea
  • Back in 2016, I went keto and found that I felt better by sticking to that diet; I also felt very left out of the community aspects around eating
  • The past few years, I've been doing a "lazy keto," where I attempt to stay mostly on diet but end up feeling terribly guilty at least twice a week
  • Living with two vegetarians made it harder to find recipes that worked for all of us, which increased the emotional energy it took to plan out meals and groceries for the week and also meant that I reverted more to pre-packaged options and less cooking for our household overall
I know that it is unfortunately always a matter of time until my next Crohn's flare--that's what chronic illness do.  I acknowledge this truth at the same time I am relentlessly pouring my efforts into ensuring that this happens in the far-future rather than the near, always working toward a better state of health.  

All this negativity toward food, there is plenty of room for improvement, here.  So I spoke to my GP about a nutritionist.  And I met with said nutritionist.  Now I'm working through unlearning and relearning in some of the same spaces.  

Probably my favorite lunch so far

So far, I think it's going well.  Feeling full on keto compared to feeling full on my individualized meal plan is different--my body was conditioned to feel even the same portion sizes differently, in terms of registering the physical feeling of "full."  I've also had the chance to rediscover foods that I haven't had without significant guilt in a long time.  Homemade apple butter in Greek yogurt?  Hells yeah.  Even the general burden of what should I eat/cook this week is cinched down into seven days that I pick from, already designed and with dinners accessible to my housemates so that we can cook and eat together.  

I'm at the end of week two, now, still fine-tuning the rules and nuances.  At this point, my bodily hypervigilance is going to start to back down a notch or two, which will allow a more gentle introspection into how I am physically feeling on the plan, now that the crisis marker systems checks won't be flashing in background.  The anxiety parts of my brain that try to help protect me by planning through catastrophizing remind me that this could still go terribly wrong, but I have also learned to acknowledge them and work through those spaces only as much as they are productive.  Most interestingly, though, will be the emotional introspection about food in this time.  Eating is always an emotional experience, and I have a lot of negative associations to shake off.  There is space for reclamation, and, better still, there is opportunity for it.  

After a month, we can take a better sampling of change and adjust accordingly.  I get quarterly bloodwork for my Crohn's disease management as it stands, so a request for a couple of add-ons for my own curiosity and to check for progress in other metrics is also easily feasible (A1C to check if I have adjusted in sugar management from keto to a diet that has reintroduced carbs, for example).  I have many, many places that I watch concerning my health, where I can watch trending data, as well as keeping a general impressions subjective log.  

Ya'll--I am high maintenance in some interesting ways.  And I have fought for a long time to get to this degree of "healthy."  There are places where I have accepted a new normal; there are places where the current "normal" has been challenged and improved; and the line is incredibly difficult to discern. Having the emotional and physical energy to poke at it, though, requires a base degree of stability that I have not always had.  My limitations can change daily; the ranges that they can be found in, however, have been steadily increasing, advancing how good a good day can be and minimizing how poor a bad day can be.  It takes a lot of its own energy to manage this.  I'm grateful to simply have enough spoons to be able to investigate or even make an appointment in increments at a time.  I also have the blessing of a diagnosis that I can point to--not everyone managing their own care has this easily, languishing in the "unknowing" space.  There have been times when I had thought things wouldn't get better on a particular front and been right--this was a path, then, of radical self-acceptance and then leaning into how to make accommodations for that need.  There have been things that have improved over a period of years.  That's what it is to live with a disability, slowly sifting out what can be improved and accepting what can't, while simultaneously ignoring a lot of bullshit advice, even when it comes from a well-meaning source.  

So today, it's food.  A fundamental concept that I am deconstructing and re-interpreting into my life as it is now instead of my life as it has been.  And when life parameters change, so will the requirements.  And we will adjust again, with a necessary amount of grumbling.  

No comments:

Post a Comment