Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Holding a Moment

I had the pleasure to be a part of Kate and Kaitlyn's wedding recently.  

It was a long but wonderful weekend, helping all of those last minute details pull together into a lovely ceremony and a great party.  I reconnected with some people and had the pleasure of meeting a good few more.
And helped make a LEGION of cupcakes.  This is about a quarter of them.
Emotions were running all over the place, from panic to joy to anger to relief and everything in between.  There's a lot going together in the planning of a wedding, if you've not gone through it yourself.  

However, I have a very specific moment held perfectly in my mind.  There were many that I could have picked--when the brides first saw each other, Kaitlyn's bouncy excitement right before the wedding, Kate and her mother sitting next to each other waiting to line up, their first kiss as a married couple, the list goes on.  But for some reason, the moment that is sticking with me most was Kaitlyn and her father in the daddy-daughter dance.  From where I was sitting, I had a clear view of his face, watching the resolution crumple into joyful tears as they held each other close.  There was something so beautiful and untainted about that moment.  

I don't know why, but I find that I don't cry nearly so easily as when I see someone else crying.  Again, many good moments that I could have teared up, but when I had that perfect vantage point of watching someone fight tears and ultimately give in, well, I was with the two of them emotionally in that private but public moment.  

As I've thought about that moment, I've also been trying to pinpoint what my triggers might be.  I always cry at those video compilations where soldiers are returning home to their families.  I'll sometimes cry at weddings.  I sometimes cry at funerals.  Sometimes happy tears move me more than sad tears and sometimes it's the other way around.  I'm sure I could find the source, find a correlation over time, but I don't feel that it is really worth the effort at the moment.  Sometimes, it's better just to hold the experience.



I'm so very happy for you both, Kate and Kaitlyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment