Monday, November 23, 2015

Winter Carols

Inevitably, there are persons who turn on their Grinch face to anything Christmas until after Thanksgiving.  There's an odd self-righteous attitude when said person (maybe it's you) tries to enforce that Christmas decorations should not go up until Thanksgiving.  Firstly, I have worked retail enough to know that this is a losing battle.  Secondly, I will sing Christmas carols at ANY time of the year and no scolding has stopped it yet nor does it seem likely to.  

I don't just celebrate being alive on my birthday, so I don't see the sense in not watching a Christmas movie or feeling the Christmas spirit just because it's not cold enough outside.  

However, if you have a particularly Scrooge-y soul that does not want to hear Christmas Carols except for the month of December, I present you with a wonderful, wonderful loophole.  

There are a number of Winter Carols, songs that get lumped in as Christmas Carols, but don't actually have anything to do with Christmas.  

  1. "Jingle Bells"  This is actually a Thanksgiving song.  See if you can find a line that implies differently.
  2. "Let it Snow"  This song is about the weather and staying inside where it's warm.  It's more a love song than it is a Christmas song.
  3. "I've got my Love to Keep me Warm."  Same vein as the former.
  4. "Baby, it's Cold Outside" Ditto, even though it can get a little creepy.
  5. "Sleigh Ride" Just about the exhilaration of a sleigh ride
  6. "Winter Wonderland"
  7. "Frosty the Snowman"
  8. "Over the River and through the Woods"
  9. "Marshmallow World"
  10. And Andy tells me that there's a song called "Suzy Snowflake" that I actually haven't heard of
If you want to get technical, "The 12 Days of Christmas" continues after Christmas itself if someone is trying to shut down carols after New Years.  And if we want to get super technical, you could be singing "We Three Kings" for a long time, since the wise men were actually not at the nativity.  

There we have it, some carols that you can get away with all through February at least.  

No comments:

Post a Comment