Sunday, October 23, 2016

Life-Long Learning

I can remember very clearly when I told my adviser at Knox College that I wanted to double major in biology and creative writing.  He blinked but was otherwise unfazed.  That was when I knew I was at the right school.  

Those were two of the subjects I was most interested in pursuing, and, while pretty opposite in and of itself, it does not fully encompass all of the things I really want to learn.  My family as a whole has an odd collection of knowledge, but I suppose that could be said for many families.  Here is a short list of our odd knowledge collective in my immediate-ish family:
  • Photography
  • Woodworking
  • How to listen
  • Basic construction
  • Theology
  • Fencing (the stabbing kind)
  • Drawing 
  • CAD drawing
  • Racecar driving (specifically Sprint cars)
  • Basic circuitry
  • Sailing and basic boat repair
  • Crocheting
  • Gaming (card games, board games, etc.)
  • First aid/medical knowledge
  • Computer assembly
  • Writing/editing/grammar
  • Simple computer programming
  • A smattering of languages, including sign language
  • Music, music, music (including accordion, banjo, and opera)
  • How to juggle
  • Canning
  • Proper swimming strokes/basic diving/scuba
  • Car maintenance (basic repair and detailing)
I remember telling my father once that we were weird.  He corrected me "No, we're renaissance."  I still like to learn odd things.  And I've been taking steps toward my own self-improvement, keeping that hunger alive. 
  • When I'm on hold waiting for a client (and my headset cooperates), I've been practicing juggling with the kooshballs on my desk.
  • I'm making a specific effort toward including reading in my schedule--currently reading Dragonfly in Amber and Sophie's World, the former an enjoyable novel and the latter a crash course in Western Philosophy.  
  • I'm attempting to learn how to french braid my own hair--struggling more with how to hold the different pieces than anything else.
  • Joined the Finance Committee at the church, and I have actually seen moments where I have impacted the conversation, even if it's only adding in oxford commas.
  • I've been taking piano lessons, currently on a Chopin waltz and "Married Life" from UP!.  
  • Stepping a bit out of the norm to sing in Verdi's Requiem and learning more things about the way I sing and/or how to improve upon it.
  • Using a DuoLingo app, I've been attempting to teach myself Norwegian.
  • Getting in to some therapy for depression/anxiety relating to chronic illness/pain; this one has been a long time in coming, but now that things have calmed down enough to put more elements into my schedule.  
  • Though I've fallen out a bit lately, I had been going regularly to the gym.
  • Still blogging away!
Sometimes, when I'm feeling down on myself for not working toward a grand goal, it's good to remember what I'm doing in the meanwhile.  And we should be continuing to learn new things, else we stagnate.

No comments:

Post a Comment