Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Mandatory New Year's Reflection, 2019

Looking back on previous years (beginning 2016, pre-2017, starting 2017, and pre-2018), I can see a trend in thinking about the future with a guarded optimism.  2016 saw us looking forward to our Norway trip and moving to our current residence.  2017 ended with some significant health changes, going into the permanent colostomy.  2018 focused a lot on dealing with the fallout and reasserting health.  So, 2016 was The Year of Adventure and Exploration.  2017 was The Year of Self-Advocacy in health decisions.  2018 was The Year of Recovering. 

 2019 I have dubbed "The Year of the Precipice." 

I feel like we are on the edge of things.  I feel like we are climbing to the top ready to make some plunges. Andy and I are looking at where our goals and our finances are, trying to find where they can overlap or at least can be started toward something. There are lots of hypothetical situations, points were where talk about best case scenarios, and elements of how do we leave a cushion for worst case scenarios, all in the same stretch.  

The big one is that we're trying to sort out whether or when we'd like to buy a house.  Andy wants the autonomy of knowing that he can do what he wants to with his space, that he can plant a garden or paint a wall without seeking permission and otherwise carve out a spot that is uniquely his.  I want autonomy by maintaining the freedom to leave when our lease is up and in the security that someone will be coming by to fix things that eventually break, without the sudden financial shock disrupting other plans.  Same need; different strategies; lots of discussion.  

Somewhere along the way, we figured out that we could actually discuss elements of it if we sidelined some of the emotional elements temporarily.  On my part, Andy throwing Zillow links at me with "what do you think of this one?" was pushing too hard too fast and thus was shut down immediately, frustrating Andy who wanted to get an idea of what we might want to do.  This fits our respective approaches--Andy has to try things out to understand what he wants; I'm better at identifying what traits and factors I'm looking for in an item to find one that matches those parameters.  So, we shifted the house discussion from "what do you like about this option?" to "what would you want in a house?" which was a much safer conversation for me and helps Andy hone down his focus, including creating an EPIC spreadsheet to quantify and compare those elements.

But we've got my student debt to figure in.  And we're finally to a point in our snowballing where we're ready to attack this one head-on.  I don't want to add another debt in when we're actually close to being out of it.  It's tangible now:  if we knuckle down, we can be done with my student debt in a year in a half.  Eighteen months.  How much broader my world will seem for it.  So, yes, the housing argument sits against that, too, where I'm not keen to take on an albatross I don't have to, no matter how lovely its feathers are.

So here's where that leaves us, then:  we're in a state of preparing, of chipping away that debt in extra hundred dollar payments at a time, of assessing both what we want and what we need, of determining what the right balance between want and need we should land on, of obsessively checking our accounts and reconfiguring the budget anywhere we can give ourselves more space (mostly me); of feeling both close and impossibly far from our goals.

Last year left us with some very major shifts.  
  • I was/am processing living with my permanent ostomy, which will be a lifelong process since it is a lifelong point of acceptance (see any post with text "Melvin and Me")
  • Andy got a new position at work that has revitalized him in some good ways
  • Andy began making "bad art" on his YouTube channel and hit some very important milestones for him.  I'm so very proud of how much he's learned in this process and delight in seeing the joy it brings him.
  • We switched our Ford Escape for a Chevy Volt, appreciating that the Escape was what met our needs at a different time of our lives and that the Volt mets our needs and our values better with where we are now.  
  • I crammed in a few more permanent changes with both a tattoo and Lasik eye surgery.
  • I started taking a class through Heartland, and it's been immensely helpful to me to have a few places outside of work where I'm learning something new in a structured environment--this also includes starting voice lessons, and I'm very curious to see what I can actually do with this instrument.  
Apart from our immediate circle, there are a few other places that feel they are readying for a change.  Politically, the House is switching power and campaigning for 2020 is going to start sooner than any of us would really like.  There are a few people in our family that have had some significant changes to their health and might be experiencing their own significant life changes with that--grandparents getting older, the Little Cross Family expecting their first child.  Some friends are shifting their personal education goals around, too, which has my empathy in sorting through how to manage those components in the way best forward for them.  All four of my parents are also my friends with their own goals and worries.  My brothers are preparing for shifts in their lives.  I have a couple of cousins expecting their first child as well.  

There's just so much coming, clouds rolling ominously on the horizon.  But, I love a good thunderstorm.  I often express my anxiety by preparing to the point of preoccupation (yay for high functioning depression), and yet facing into 2019, I feel oddly reassured that I have placed safety nets where I needed to, exercised caution liberally, but still placed a lot of the pieces in the right positions.  There's a number of places that need to be shifted into the right place to initiate the chain reaction, but we're still building to a summit of some as-of-yet intangible shift.  Changes are coming.  I cannot speak to how hard or easy that will make 2020, but 2019 is building toward them.  I find myself looking toward the edge of the cliff--still a little ways off, but visible--and wondering what the view is going to look like by the end of the year.

Wishing you all the best 2019.  

No comments:

Post a Comment